Thursday, October 18, 2007

Learning to run again

I'm recalling a recent trip to my Chiropractor's office, not so much because of the cracks and screams that usually keep me remembering my visits, but more because of what was said to me by the receptionist, Diane.

As I made my way up the stairs of the office, bent over a cane, and looking more like a walking letter "C" than a human being, Diane commented that I didn't look so good. I took advantage of the opportunity to wollow in a little self-pity and uttered something about never getting better again - she didn't see it that way. "You'll be alright, she said, you seem to bounce back well."

Diane was right and I came to realize it last night while doing a little workout on the treadmill. The human body, and mine in particular because it's the only one I have, is an incredible structure when working properly, but more amazing when something goes wrong. The body's ability to recover in relatively short periods of time after we've pushed it too far is nothing short of miraculous. Over the past couple of weeks, I have been able to get back at a walk/run program at my usual, slow pace, a feat I couldn't envision that day talking to Diane.

Smart people learn from their injuries and begin listening a little more attentively to the signals their bodies send out; stubborn people keep getting hurt. I vow to be smart, and here's how I'm going to do it:

Take it slow. I will get back to form by taking it slow, never wimping out, but never overdoing it.

Lose weight. I will lose 30 pounds between now and the Halifax Half in May 2008. I will accomplish this by eating smart and exercising smarter. A smaller gut means less stress on my wonky lower back.

Have fun. I will enjoy every foot-strike while I am able, because I know how lousy it feels to watch from the sidelines, or worse, stare at the ceiling.

I'm committed to reaching these goals - I have to - I don't think Diane would sympathize with stubborn.

No comments: