Saturday, August 16, 2008

Time machine

I took a few steps back in time this week, during an early morning workout. I had always been an early morning runner, but since joining a running club, most of my runs had been moved to the lunch hour. I had grown comfortable running amongst the mid-day traffic, zigzagging through intersections, sharing the road with drivers, some of whom really didn’t want to share the road with me.

As I got going in the pre-dawn darkness, I was struck by the tranquility of the moment; my mind was clear, my iPod was silent and I wasn’t about to ruin things by reaching for the play button. Cars normally zooming past gave way to quiet empty roadways. It was all coming back to me; this, I could get used to.

As I made my way along the sidewalks on this damp, dewy morning, streetlights guided my every step as if someone had left them on just for me. I noticed the moon hanging so low I thought surely I could reach it with enough of a running start and one giant leap. This was a run I was going to remember.

Moments like these make running so great. Anywhere, anytime, a run can grab hold of you and warm your soul. Moments like these make the 5:00 AM wakeup call that much more tolerable.

Run, baby. Run.

No comments: