Sunday, April 8, 2007

Designated cheerleader...

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

Just the other day I was thinking how I didn't have much time to write in my blog, what with work commitments, my training for the half marathon in May, and our new Running Club. After last week, writing time will no longer be in short supply.

Last Tuesday, I ran some sprints with our Running Club and ended up tweaking a hamstring in the process. When I woke up Wednesday morning, the driveway was covered in a blanket of wet snow so I limped outside to clear it away. If I could take back any part of my life and do it again, it would be the thirty seconds that followed.

In an effort to favour my wonky hamstring, I loaded up the shovel and deliberately lifted with my back to save my injured leg from further aggravation and a longer recovery period. The end result was a "de-located" sacroiliac joint, a bunch of chiropractic appointments, and weeks of inactivity. No joke, nearly two weeks after the injury occurred, I'm still not able to drive my car.

This morning, in effort to show myself that I was not that far from running, I got on the treadmill for a little walk. The end result was an eleven-minute quarter mile and the realization that I'm done training for a while. The good news is, the other 15 members of our running club are still going strong so I'll live vicariously through them for the next several weeks, after all, what choice do I have.

The weeks ahead will be tougher than any training program I've ever followed, as I try to stay in shape and keep weight off with limited mobility and virtually no ability to burn calories. These are the moments when you have to be headstrong and commit to coming back ready to resume training - I've targeted May 6th for a return.

For now then, I'll be the designated cheerleader encouraging co-workers and family members taking part in a couple of different events over the next month or so.

And to think, this all could have been avoided if I'd only taken the snowblower out of the shed.

Live and learn.

No comments: